Wednesday, May 03, 2006
Civil 3D 2007 - Data Shortcuts
Corrected: Thanks to Josh Nelson for the comment!
Before Vault there were data shortcuts. There were two ways to use data shortcuts 1. Through the old project environment (the most common approach). 2. By manually creating, managing, and using them.
Now that projects are handled through Vault, what has happened to data shortcuts?
Well, they still exist. Although, they have changed. Because now they can only be created, managed, and used manually.
The new data shortcuts do require hands-on interaction and attention. But, this manual method is more flexible in that I do not need a project. Now don't get me wrong, in order to share project data Vault is the proper solution. But, data shortcuts have a place in our world. Typically very small projects.
By the way, data shortcuts can now be used for Pipe Networks in addition to Surfaces, Alignment, and Profiles which were always possible.
OK, how do we use them?
1. In a drawing that contains shortcut-able (I just created that word. Feel free to use it) objects click "General" > "Data Shortcuts" > "Edit Data Shortcuts...".
2. In the "Data Shortcuts" vista of the "Panorama" view click "Create data shortcut by selection" (4th icon, I circled it in red in the image above). Then select the object you wish use via shortcuts.
A shortcut is created but we have to export it by creating an .XML file.
3. In the "Data Shortcuts" vista of the "Panorama" view click "Export data shortcuts to file" (2nd icon, I circled it in blue in the image above). Then Name .XML file.
Now, the shortcut is available for use in another drawing. We now need to create a data reference
4. In a drawing where we wish to use a data shortcut click "General" > "Data Shortcuts" > "Edit Data Shortcuts...".
5. In the "Data Shortcuts" vista of the "Panorama" view click "Import data shortcuts to file" (1st icon, I circled it in magenta in the image above). Then select the .XML file created in step 3.
6. In the "Data Shortcuts" vista of the "Panorama" select the imported shortcut to create a reference for and then click "Create reference" (5th icon, I did not circle it in the image above).
a reference to the shortcut-ed object is then created.
We still get data synchronization messages as before. Remember this can be done without a project.